Thursday, September 27, 2012

Cellini Spiral Bracelet

In 2010, at the Puget Sound Bead Show, everywhere I went I kept seeing these wonderful crocheted bracelets.  So, after the show, I spent the entire summer trying to learn how to crochet so I could make one.  Well, it seemed I did okay until I went to bed and then I forgot everything I learned.  So I tried again, and again, and again, and yet again.

Finally, I realized that I could do almost the identical look in tubular peyote.  Then, if I used different size seed beads ... oh my gosh ... I could make these fabulous undulating, crochet looking things, and I didn't  even have to know how to crochet.  It wasn't until later that I discovered that this technique was called a Cellini Spiral and it has become one of my favorite stitches.  

When Barb and I traveled to Florence, Italy in 2011, we ran across the bust of Benvenuto Cellini on the  Ponte Vecchio bridge.  Cellini was a great jewelry artist and sculptor.  Barb does not have fond memories of this bracelet.  In fact, for some reason the mere sight of this statue  brought tears to her eyes.

 I, on the other hand, love this stitch and even like beading them on trips. I only need to take 3 or 4 tubes of beads, a needle and thread and - since it's the same stitch over and over - long plane trips become much more tolerable.  So here are some of my favorite completed projects (as well as examples from others).



This one beaded with 6/0 seed beads in burgundy,
 a size 8/0,  two size 11/0's (all in pink tones),
 and a 15/0 in metallic blue




Here I used 4mm Czech fire polish,
 a size 8/0, and two colors 
of size 11/0 seed beads.


I love blacks, so had to make two.


I love teal and turquoise even more - 
so actually have three but didn't
 have photos of the third one.


This one belongs to Jennifer and she made
 her's thinner with a size 8/0 as the largest bead.
  Notice she used a clasp instead of creating a bangle.


If you would like to try this, here is a great pattern by Elena Nazarchuk.  I couldn't get the link to work on my tablet (remember I'm traveling) so am just putting this here for now,  I also have a video - with same problem - so will not add that now but will fix both of these later.  


A pattern  by Elena Nazarchuk



U need seed beads:








1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Es una pulsera preciosa!!!